Office of Student Life

Obtaining Your BuckID

Orientation Students - You need to bring a photo ID (state-issued driver's license, state-issued ID card or passport) and go to the BuckID office on your primary campus of enrollment during your orientation program. You can find the BuckID office locations on each campus on our office locations page. Summer orientation students also have the option to submit a photo online in advance of your orientation process. You can find more information on that process in the Orientation Information section of this site. There is no charge for your first BuckID.

Online Students - 100% online students will not receive a physical BuckID card, but will have access to a Digital BuckID in the Ohio State App. For information on how to submit the photo for your Digital BuckID, see the Orientation Information section of this site. For information on accessing your Digital BuckID, see the Digital BuckID section of this site

Faculty and Staff - First check with your department HR contact to make sure that you are entered into the university's HR system and that you have an employee ID number. Once that is in place, bring a photo ID (driver's license, state issued ID card or passport) to the BuckID office. There is no charge for your first BuckID.

New Students (not attending orientation) - If you are registered for at least one class you may obtain your BuckID the semester before your classes begin. After the 14th day of the term your fees must be paid. Bring a photo ID (driver's license, state issued ID card or passport). There is no charge for your first BuckID.

Guests & Contractors - See more information in the Guest and Contractor Badging section of this site. 

Note (all cardholders) - In order to receive a BuckID a potential cardholder must be in good standing with The Ohio State University and BuckID. If a customer does not have the proper documentation (i.e. a physical government issued photo identification card), has a hold on their account, or does not yet have an active affiliation (student, employee or guest) with the University, then they will not be able to obtain a BuckID.

You may only wear prescription glasses that have dark or tinted lenses in your BuckID photo if you need to wear them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required to verify prescription eyewear.

You may only wear a hat or head covering if you wear it for religious purposes.